Ponti, oleodotti, cavi, attrezzature: SuperMicron è ilsensore che punta a rivoluzionare la valutazione dello stato delleinfrastrutture. E i campi di […]
The last three decades have seen governments and infrastructure owners moving away from building new bridges, tunnels, dams etc to extending the lives of existing ones. This implies a strong need for maintenance cost optimization, remaining lifetime prediction and constant health state assessment.
SuperMicron is the innovative and patented sensor system for structural health monitoring of infrastructures. It is a reality able revolutionize current monitoring methods because it guarantees greater possibilities of employment at much lower costs than competing systems.
Much of our daily life depends on the good functioning of the infrastructures – buildings, bridges and tunnels, factories, power plants, transport systems for the electricity grid, gas, oil pipelines, other – on which we rely blindly and which we expect to function uninterruptedly.
However, aging structures are subject to inevitable and progressive decay of their resistant capacity, which ultimately may lead to sudden, unpredicted structural failure. Moreover, civil infrastructure may be subject to unexpected, traumatic events, so as earth quakes or explosions, which may be of such intensity to compromise the structural integrity of recent constructions and heritage buildings alike
SuperMicron gives a valid response to the growing need for cost effective, easy to handle and remote SHM technology able to increase the resilience and security of infrastructure and buildings, reduce maintenance costs and simplify remaining live prediction.
SuperMicron is able to play a key role in controlling the structural behavior of infrastructures and in monitoring the territory.
SuperMicron offers a completely new approach to SHM (structural health monitoring) as it is a standard, low cost and stand-alone solution.
Four main values are measured:
- seismic activity.
The recorded values are transmitted remotely in real time and wirelessly, allowing the operator of the monitored structure to have detailed and continuously updated information on the integrity and proper functioning of the structure itself.
SuperMicron allows the application even outside the classical field of structural infrastructure monitoring. The system allows customizations that make it suitable for monitoring structural elements in the automotive, aerospace, railway, shipbuilding and composite materials sectors.
In the railway field, for example, it can be used both for monitoring track sections of particular interest, but also for the structural monitoring of viaducts, bridges and tunnels. It can also be used to control the trains themselves, with applications similar to those in aeronautics and automotive.
The fulcrum of SuperMicron is the innovative and patented Smart Skin Sensor, a deformation sensor made of composite materials that integrate a sensitive element made of carbon fibers. The Smart Skin Deformation sensor further comprises a tilt / seismographic sensor, a temperature sensor and a transmission unit assembled in a single PCB. Detailed information on how it works in the STRAGEGY tab.
In Italy structural health monitoring of dams is already mandatory. For the other structures there is no explicit obligation, but every owner of a building (from the motorway bridge to the building) is responsible for maintaining this structure in efficiency.
Until today, most of the structures are monitored only by visual inspection, with all the limitations of this method. Visual monitoring involves high maintenance costs, as maintenance must follow planned interventions that does not necessarily correspond to the real state of wear.
SuperMicron has been invented to replace visual inspection.
The competitive advantage of SuperMicron is strong: our product is most convenient on the market, protected by international patents, it is already distributed and it is aimed at an expanding market.
Markets&markets does estimate the SHM market to reach Euro 1.7 billion by 2020 with a CARG of 24.7 between 2015 and 2020.
The competitive advantage of SuperMicron is primarily linked to its low cost compared to competiting solutions. The cost advantage is transversal because it concerns several aspects:
- SuperMicron is sold at a considerably lower cost compared to solutions currently on the market: about a quarter compared to optical fiber solutions and a third compared to solutions based on traditional strain gauges;
- further to the deformation monitoring, SuperMicron offers at no additional cost the reading of temperature, inclination and possible shocks perceived by the monitored structure. These values are extremely useful for the contextualization and correct interpretation of the deformation values. In competing solutions, sensors must be added for the detection of thisvalues, with a further increase in overall costs;
- also the installation cost of SuperMicron is significantly lower than that of the solutions currently available on the market;
- SuperMicron represents a “turnkey” solution, which includes a Grafical User Interface on cloud specifically designed to allow a quick and easy access to data as well as the setting of threshold values and alarms.
The system was officially presented with great success in Paris last March, and the first deliveries are scheduled for the month of September, thanks to distributors contracts already present in Italy and India. In addition, similar distribution agreements for Germany, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates are in an advanced state of negotiation.
Market ready product
Today SuperMicron is a market ready product and under launch on the international market. Offered in three versions, Standard, Long and Rod, customizations for special applications are also possible.
First contracts for distribution stipulated:
- Signed representative contract that will be transformed into an exclusive distribution contract by 2019. The first application fields are the penstocks of the Alpine arc and the road infrastructures and tensile structures.
- With BNP Paribas Cardif, following the OpenF@b Award, a joint development of an application dedicated to the insurance sector was launched. A high-visibility installation in the group’s Milan headquarters, the Diamand Tower, will take place in autumn 2018.
- Exclusive distribution contract in the aerospace sector has been stipulated with Aria srl. Among other things, Aria will present SuperMicron and its custom applications at the IAC2018, 69th International Astronautical Congress 2018 in Bremen, Germany in October 2018 with an intervention during the Symposium of the Intenational Aeronautical Federation.
- exclusive distribution agreement signed with Micronel Global Engineers (P) Limited. Micronel is currently negotiating the application of SuperMicron on a large number of railway bridges managed by the Indian National Army, to the new 10-lane highway between Bangalore and Mysore and the new Bangalore metro line.
- Additional foreign markets:
- we are finalizing distribution agreements for Turkey with NTM Electrical Electronics, for the application of SuperMicron on the telecommunication towers they manage.
- distribution agreements for the United Arab Emirates are currently under discussion with a leading company in the field of composite materials constructions and for Germany. The introduction on the market U.S.A. by 2020.
International patents issued
SuperMicron technology, the result of 4 years of research and development, is protected by international patents, already recognized in Italy and the United States and currently being extended to Europe, India and Hong Kong.
Use of proceeds
Capital raising aims to accelerate the growth of a business that is already sustainable: we will use the funds to penetrate new markets and develop new technologies.
- Subsea Strain System: the most significant development underway, as well as the most promising from the commercial point of view, is the underwater version of the Smart Skin Sensors. The uniqueness of the sensor’s architecture allows application where no other sensors can be employed to detect the same parameters. Among the most significant application fields:
- oil & gas underwater pipelines;
- immersed structures of oil stations and drilling platforms;
- immersed structures of offshore wind farms;
- immersed structures of break waters and port installations;
- submerged portions of dams, bridge pylons, etc.
- In-K Strain System: the evolution of SuperMicron, in which the sensitive element is built with the use of carbon nanotubes ink and technologically advanced composite materials. Carbon nanotubes, with a diameter of 1 ten thousandth of a human hair, are an allotrope of carbon that has unique physical properties. In our In-K Strain System we will use these exceptional properties for detecting deformation. The advantages of using printed carbon nanotubes are manifold: lower production costs, significant reduction in sensor production time, perfect repeatability, extreme flexibility in sensor size, ease of production of bi-and tri-axial sensors.
The raised capital will be invested as follows:
- purchase of additional patents and know-how with the aim of expanding the product range;
- set-up of the new operative unit;
- promotion and marketing.
Overfunding will allow:
- completion of the development of the underwater sensor (Subsea Strain System);
- optimization of the In-K sensors;
- to obtain the necessary certifications for entry into the American market (U.S., Canada and Mexico);
- to intensify increasingly promotion and marketing also for new markets;
- the enlargement of staff and human resources;
- development of the custom department for special applications.
The information on the offer are not subject to approval by Consob. The issuer is solely responsible for the completeness and accuracy of the data and information provided by the same. It also draws attention to the investor that the investment in financial instruments issued by innovative startup is illiquid and characterized by a very high risk.